Lyapunov soon became the most important member of Balakirev
's coterie and with the elder composer's encouragement, the younger man's self-effacement was gradually overcome and he began to publish his own works, concluding a lucrative financial arrangement with the publisher Zimmermann in 1899. Earlier, Lyapunov, together with Balakirev
, secured funding from the Imperial Geographical Society, enabling them to collect folksongs from the regions of Vologda, Vyatka, and Kostroma. Some 300 songs were subsequently published by the society in 1899, several with Lyapunov's piano accompaniment. Lyapunov became a director of Balakirev
's Free Music School in 1905 and after Balakirev
's death in 1910, Lyapunov gave classes in theory and piano at the St. Petersburg Conservatory. He moved to Paris in 1923, where he died after suffering a coronary one year later.